Baking this tasty Hefezopf is quick and easy with our Organic Corn Sugar!
Prep Time: 25 min.
Resting Time: 45 min.
Baking Time: 40-45 min.
For the yeast dough:
- 500g flour
- 20g yeast
- 100g Frusano Organic Corn Sugar
- Just under ¼ L milk (fat content is adjustable, lactose free if necessary)
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp. salt
- 80g melted butter (lactose free if necessary)
- Grated lemon peel
For the coating:
- 1 egg yolks
- 3 Tbsp. milk (fat content is adjustable, lactose free if necessary)
- Sift the flour into a bowl. Form a depression in the flour and sprinkle in the yeast and a tablespoon Frusano Organic Corn Sugar. Add about 5 tablespoons of lukewarm milk to the yeast and mix in a little flour to form a dough starter. Cover and let rest for about 15 minutes in a warm spot.
- Mix all the remaining ingredients for the yeast dough in a bowl, adding the milk slowly to achieve a good dough consistency. Mix all the ingredients a dough forms and starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Cover with a towel and let rest for about 30 minutes in a warm spot.
- Put the dough on a lightly-floured work surface and knead thoroughly. Divide the dough into three even pieces. Roll each section into long rolls about 45cm long. Braid the three rolls together. Press the ends together and tuck them under the braid.
- Place the Hefezopf on a baking paper-lined baking pan, cover, and allow to rest in a warm spot until the size has noticeably increased.
- Mix together the egg yolk and milk. Brush the dough with the mixture.
- Bake the Hefezopf on the middle rack of an oven preheated to 200 (top and bottom heat) for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 180°C and bake another 30 – 35 minutes.
Have fun cooking and Bon Appetit!